‘Yellow Card’ App for smartphones
At this year’s MDSO/MSO conference the MHRA’s App for use on smart phones called ‘Yellow Card’ was shared. Developed back in 2015 this useful app is a convenient way to keep up to date with MHRA alerts on medical devices and medicines.
The Yellow Card Scheme is vital in helping the MHRA monitor the safety of all healthcare products in the UK to ensure they are acceptably safe for patients and those that use them. Reports can be made for all medicines including vaccines, blood factors and immunoglobulins, herbal medicines and homeopathic remedies, and all medical devices available on the UK market. From the 20th of May 2016, the MHRA is also collecting reports of safety concerns associated with e-cigarette products through the Yellow Card Scheme.
The Scheme collects information on suspected problems or incidents involving;
- side effects (also known as adverse drug reactions or ADRs)
- medical device adverse incidents
- defective medicines (those that are not of an acceptable quality)
- counterfeit or fake medicines or medical devices
- safety concerns for e-cigarettes or their refill containers (e-liquids)
Here’s a link to the MHRA information page